We recently reported on the continuing and extraordinary growth of apps and app usage.
The growth, of course, is global.
For example, IT Business Canada reports how “Canadians’ mobile app use grew by 74% in 2016.”
Meanwhile in India, LiveMint reports that “India’s mobile app market grew sharply last year, outpacing the US, and ranked number one in terms of Google Play downloads, highlighting the vibrancy of the country’s mobile ecosystem. Indians downloaded over 6 billion apps in 2016, up from 3.5 billion in 2015. That 71% growth was significantly higher than the overall 15% growth in app downloads around the world.”
So what insights can app publishers and developers learn from this growth?
In case you missed it, excellent insights can be found in Sensor Tower’s most recent Store Intelligence Q4 2016 Data Digest.
- Among the highlights:
5 billion total app downloads on the App Store and Google Play combined.
- 1 percent year-over-year growth in worldwide App Store and Google Play downloads.
- Facebook had the top four most downloaded apps worldwide in Q4.
- Tencent retained its ranking as the No. 1 iOS publisher in the world by downloads for the fourth consecutive quarter.
- Thanks to Super Mario Run, Nintendo became the third largest iOS app publisher in the U.S. by downloads, ahead of Electronic Arts.
Indeed, it’s useful to consider the Sensor Tower insights around the top categories in worldwide downloads.
For the App Store:
- “Games Grew 12% Year Over Year: Game downloads on iOS had grown 18% YoY between Q3 2015 and Q3 2016.”
- “Social Networking Overtook Utilities: The category, which includes Facebook, grew approximately 5% YoY. Utilities grew 10%.”
- “Entertainment’s YoY Growth Slowed: The category grew 10.6% YoY from Q3 2015 to Q3 2016, but only 1.4% between Q4 2015 and Q4 2016.”
For Google Play:
- “Games Grew More on Google Play: Downloads of games from Google’s store grew 19% YoY in Q4, compared to the App Store’s 12%.”
- “Entertainment Was in the Spotlight: The category grew about 47% YoY in Q4 to become Google Play’s third largest, up from fifth in Q3.”
- “Double-Digit Growth in All Categories: All five of the top Google Play categories grew more than 10% YoY, compared to two of the top five on iOS.”